PhotoSat’s 15cm accuracy satellite topographic data enhances traditional ground surveying and reduces field crew costs in all phases of oil sands mining.
We survey all 7 of the Alberta oil sands mines, some on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. Mining and tailings engineers are using our satellite surveys for:
- Highly accurate mapping of sand dumps.
- Mapping and monitoring tailings beaches and dykes, eliminating ground survey crew exposure to hazards and reducing water usage. Accurate measuring of the clay thickness in mature fine tailings cells in 15cm intervals.
- Improving volume calculations in pits, waste dumps, and stockpiles.
- Mine site toes and crests data for daily dispatch maps and other processes.
- High accuracy volume measurement of windrows.
PhotoSat has completed over 900 satellite mapping projects globally since 2004:
Highest accuracy elevation data
PhotoSat produces highly accurate 1m elevation grids (DEMs) with 50cm or 1m contours from satellite photos using our geophysical processing technology. We have invented a process that produces detailed surface topography from stereo satellite photos with 4 times the accuracy of conventional satellite mapping. Our accuracies have been proven and reports are available on the Satellite surveying accuracy studies page.
We achieve 15cm elevation accuracy in oil sands mines using a proprietary set of algorithms that were derived from oil and gas seismic processing. Find out more about our unique process on the Technology page.
PhotoSat satellite surveying benefits:
- Engineering accuracy for oil sands engineering projects.
- Improves safety for field crews in hazardous areas.
- Fast delivery: usually within 8 days of satellite data acquisition.
- Cost-effective alternative to GPS surveying and aerial LiDAR.
- Custom formats and projections.
Satellite topography pricing
The digital topographic data package is provided on a project-by-project basis. Please provide us with the extents of your project area and we will get back to you with a quote.
- 1m bare earth digital elevation grid (DEM)
- 50cm or 1m contours
- 50cm satellite ortho photo
- 1m colour elevation image
For more information contact us at email@example.com or 1-604-681-9770.
- 50cm precision colour satellite ortho photo
- 15cm accuracy 1m bare earth elevation grid (DEM/DTM)
- 50cm or 1m contours (plus 5m, 10m and 50m contours)
- Colour elevation image
- Contours: 3D ArcGIS Shapefile or 2D MapInfo or 3D DWG
- Elevation grid: Floating Point GeoTIFF or .MIG (MapInfo compatible) or ASCII XYZ
- Colour Image: GeoTIFF
Additional formats are available; please let us know which format you require.
- DigitalGlobe License Agreement or Airbus – Pleiades End-User License Agreement
- PhotoSat General Terms of Sale
Accuracy & Ground Control
Our elevation grids over oil sands mine sites have a relative vertical accuracy of 15cm RMSE, and a relative horizontal accuracy of 30cm RMSE.
Ground control requirements will be provided by PhotoSat when requesting a quote.
Oil and Gas
- Reconciling surface engineering data
- Seismic survey planning
- Seismic receiver point elevations, replace GPS receiver point surveying
- Well site and access road design and as-built drawings
- Pipeline route selection
- Pipeline design and cost estimates
- Oil and gas gathering and processing facilities
- Mining volumes
- Mine site toes and crests
- Mine tailings measurement and monitoring
- Mine leach pads and ore stockpile volumes
- Reserve and resource estimates
- Feasibility studies
- Drill hole planning and coordinate validation
- Mine site planning and construction
- Project base mapping
- Structural geology
- Hydro dams
- Hydrographic mapping
- Direction of slope analysis
- Drainage analysis
- Flood plain analysis and modeling
- Wetland management
- Landslide risk assessment
- Line of sight analysis
- Cut and fill calculations and construction
Transportation and Utility Corridors
- Power line planning and construction
- Railway planning and construction
- Right-of-way planning
- Road and highway planning and construction
- Transmission line planning and construction
- Transportation corridor design
- Wind farm planning and management
Mapping and GIS
- DSM (digital surface models)
- DEM (digital elevation models)
- DTM (digital terrain models)